Improve your fleet management performance . . .
We recently asked top performing Fleet Managers from around the country to identify one aspect of their job that drives the greatest overall improvement in their fleet operations. The #1 response – Measurement!
Collecting, reporting, and analyzing data on each vehicle in your fleet at pre-set time intervals enables a Fleet Manager to consistently make the right decisions throughout a vehicle’s entire lifecycle. Without accurate and current management reporting, trying to manage a fleet is like trying to safely land a 747 jumbo jet in a blinding snowstorm without any flight instruments . . . it’s not likely to turn out well.
Quite often, the management of companies we partner with has never had access to reports to help them with the following questions:
- What are the most cost effective vehicles to have in our fleet?
- Do we have enough vehicles or too many?
- How can we reduce the maintenance cost for each vehicle?
- How can we lower our auto insurance premiums?
- Should we use local independent service shops or large national service providers like Firestone, NAPA Autocare, or Goodyear?
- When is the best time to replace a vehicle?
- Should we trade-in our old vehicle to a dealer or sell it at an auction?
During our interviews, one Fleet Manager said, “I believe in the old adage that you can’t manage what you don’t’ measure!” Another manager remarked, “measuring results is like keeping score of the game while it’s being played so you can make adjustments before it’s too late!”
These are a couple of the reasons we here at Fleet Services specialize in management reporting. We believe it’s about accountability and being able to demonstrate the return on investment our clients make in our Fleet Management Solutions.
…here is just a sample of the reports we provide to our clients:
- Vehicle Inventory Reports: This report keeps an accurate account of the active vehicles in the fleet. This report forms the basis of your vehicle tracking efforts and allows a fleet manager a window into the status of the entire fleet at a glance.
- National Account Usage Reports: These reports highlight the difference in savings between the use of national accounts vs. independent vendors. These are extraordinarily useful identifying savings opportunitys that are often overlooked (i.e. oil changes at Joe’s Auto Shop vs. Firestone).
- Vehicle Maintenance Summary Reports: These reports offer either a one-line summary of the total spent on maintenance for a given period; or an itemized detail of all maintenance performed. These reports can be broken down by a number of different criteria (region, division…etc) and are very useful in forecasting maintenance budgets moving forward.
- Mechanical Cost Avoidance Reports: This type of report details savings generated when our vehicle maintenance and repair screening and authorization process catches unnecessary or excessive service repair work before any work is performed on vehicles. The report breaks down the savings on a per vehicle basis as well as providing a running year-to-date total for the entire fleet.
- And many more…
Taking the time to analyze and regularly report every aspect of vehicle management is essential to building an effective and efficient fleet. To learn more about how to use management reporting to generate savings for your organization give us a call today a 414-771-7030 for a FREE fleet analysis or click below…